Only applicants with one of the following degrees from a German university or from an international university officially acknowledged by the University of Stuttgart can be accepted to the International Doctoral Program Environment Water:
- 'Master of Science' degree (M.Sc.) in fields related to 'Environment Water'
- 'Diplom-Ingenieur' degree (Dipl.-Ing.) in Civil or Environmental Engineering Sciences'
In addition, applicants with certain qualifications can be admitted into the doctoral program after a preparatory phase. This includes:
- Applicants with top qualifications who hold Dipl., Dipl.-Ing., or M.Sc. degrees which are not sufficiently related to the field 'Environment Water' or not from a university acknowledged by the University of Stuttgart.
- Candidates with M.Sc., Dipl., or Dipl.-Ing. degrees and top qualifications who have not taken undergraduate or graduate courses sufficiently related to the major subjects of the program or equivalent in quality to courses of this University. These candidates fulfil the prerequisites for the program by undertaking preparatory work including examinations. The nature and extent of this preparatory work is individually determined for each candidate by the department's examination committee. The preparatory work is required prior to admission into the doctoral program and should not exceed one year.
- Applicants with top qualifications from a German university of applied sciences (Fachhochschule) ('Dipl.-Ing. FH'-degrees) in fields related to 'Environment Water'. Candidates with top qualifications from German technical universities can be admitted via an evaluation procedure that assesses the individual's academic qualifications ('Eignungsfeststellungsverfahren'). In essentially all cases, preparatory work and additional examinations will be necessary to fulfil the requirements for admission to the program. The nature and extent of the preparatory work is individually determined for each candidate. Alternatively, the candidate has the option of completing one of the M.Sc.programs, e.g. WAREM or WASTE at the University of Stuttgart. For a list of all the international graduate programs at the University of Stuttgart click here.
All Chinese applicants applying to the University of Stuttgart have to submit an APS certificate issued by the "Akademische Prüfstelle für chinesische Studienbewerber (APS)".
Adequate knowledge of the English language is required for admission to the program. This prerequisite can be fulfilled through submitting either:
- TOEFL test results indicating a minimum score of 213 points (computer-based testing).
- TOEFL test results indicating a minimum score of 80 points (internet-based testing).
- IELTS test results indicating an Academic Bandscore: 6.5
- Cambridge ESOL CAE/CPE University of Cambride ESOL exams
- Proof that the candidate's native language is English.
- Medium of Instruction (MoI): Proof that the candidate has successfully completed a university course (e.g. B.Sc. or M.Sc.) taught in English.
The International Doctoral Program “Environment Water” (ENWAT) of the Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering Sciences, University of Stuttgart, Germany offers several PhD positions for research in Environment Water. You can apply for one or more of the following projects. Each project involves high-quality research and state-of-the-art techniques and is supervised by excellent researchers.
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Working Language: English
Start of the PhD: anytime
Duration: 3 years
Awarded degree: Dr.-Ing. (Doctorate in Engineering)
Application deadline: none
We are looking for highly motivated and talented students with a passion for science. Candidates must demonstrate an excellent performance in their previous academic education. Candidates from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
- MSc (or an equivalent degree) relevant for the respective project. Applicants must have graduated from a min. 4-year study program with a comprehensive scientific thesis work in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Management, Environmental Engineering or a related field (this might be a Master's degree or an equivalent degree). The quality of the degrees (i.e. eligibility) will be checked by the University of Stuttgart on a case-by-case basis. At the time of application, generally no more than 6 years should have passed since the last degree was gained.
- Excellent academic record, ambition to work in a dynamic international and interdisciplinary environment and to actively participate in the structured international doctoral program ENWAT.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- The University of Stuttgart is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of the University’s faculty.
Required application materials (Applications with missing items will not be considered):
- Resume/CV showing the applicant’s background, professional skills, a list of publications and oral and poster presentations as well as additional achievements (scholarships, awards etc.)
- MSc, Dipl.-Ing. or equivalent degree in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Management, Environmental Engineering or related sciences
- BSc in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Management, Environmental Engineering or related sciences
Copies of Certificates and Transcripts, including all undergraduate level certificates and university degrees. All documents, which are not in English or in German, must be accompanied by copies of a legally certified English translation (for the application we will accept copies; but please be aware, that originals or legally certified copies will be needed for the final phase. In case any differences between the copies and the originals show up, the application will be dismissed.)
Please make sure, that the copies of the transcripts show not only the grades but also explain the home grades' system (please add copy of the description of grade scale)
- Unless native speaker: proficiency in English (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.), or proof that M.Sc. and B.Sc. programs were held in English
- 2 Reference letters from university professors from the applicants home university, issued during the last 2 years (please ask your referee to use the form in the next section 'Application forms' and send it directly to our e-mail address with your name in the header of the e-mail)
- Motivation letter describing the applicant’s work experience and research goals.
Applications are ONLY possible for one or more of the following projects. Please indicate your favourite research project clearly.
Please click on the respective title to view the project descriptions
Please note: All our projects are taken by now. Please wait for new projects to be announced here.
Please note: Until further notice we do not offer any project in Sanitary Engineering, Water Quality or Waste Water Management
We offer a top-level research environment, a comprehensive educational and mentoring program, courses in cutting-edge methods and soft skills.
Please send your application by e-mail as one pdf-file to the ENWAT Course Director:
Dr. Gabriele Hartmann ( e-mail )
Please indicate your favourite choice of the announced research projects in the header of your e-mail.
From among the applicants, ENWAT will shortlist candidates for (Skype) interviews. The applicants who have been selected will have to apply for a scholarship.
ATTENTION: The International Doctoral Program ENWAT does not offer ANY financial assistance.
In case you get accepted into the program, you will have to apply for a scholarship - either from your home country or one of the German DAAD scholarships for doctoral researchers or any other suitable scholarship.